[Libav-user] libx264 library direct usage vs. FFmpeg wrapper routines

Stefano Sabatini stefasab at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 10:38:18 CEST 2015

In data Thursday 2015-10-15 16:38:02 +0500, black copper ha scritto:
> I want to experiment with libx264 encoding routines (using its library).
> Since it is already present inside FFmpeg libraries; I would like to know
> is there any benefit I could expect to achieve by compiling and using
> libx264 directly; instead of using it via FFmpeg libs?

Well, the main advantage is that you can rely on the FFmpeg
framework. That means that you can use the FFmpeg utilities, and if
you plan to use a diffrent codec/implementation at some point, you
simply have to change the codec and options, and you're done (so you
don't need to learn a new library).

The drawback is that for using FFmpeg you need to know the FFmpeg API
(which are more complex than those of libx264), and need to rely on
the huge FFmpeg library (though you can configure FFmpeg to only
select the few components you need to use).

HTH