[Libav-user] dts/pts/duration in packets

Max Vlasov max.vlasov at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 09:19:43 CEST 2015

On Wed, Sep 2, 2015 at 9:47 AM, qw <applemax82 at 163.com> wrote:

> As we know, video coding support I, P, B picture in general. If video
> encoder adopts B picture, then output packets' pts will be different from
> dts. In this case, we can't simply set pts/dts to the number of output
> packets. How to handle this case?

I assume that the proper reordering (buffering) and dts handling is done
internally by the codec. This also comes from the nature of pts/dts
difference. You may tell the codec about your planned pts (presentation
time stamp) while not knowing about actual internals of the codec (decoding
time stamp).