[Libav-user] Writing 16bit greyscale videos

Carl Eugen Hoyos ceffmpeg at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 17:54:21 EEST 2016

Hi!

> ffmpeg -i test%d.tif -vcodec ffv1 -b:v 2M -r 10 test.avi

-b:v must not be used for lossless codecs such as ffv1.
I don't know why you are using "-r 10" in this command line (it will not
increase the duration of the output file, if this is what you wanted to
achieve use the input option -framerate instead), so I left it out.

I tested:
$ ffmpeg -i test%d.tif -vcodec ffv1 out.avi
$ ffmpeg -i test%d.tif -f crc -
$ ffmpeg -i out.avi -f crc -
Values are identical indicating that encoding and decoding 16bit
gray (for the given samples) is indeed lossless.
ffplay shows a black image (not green)
Patched (!!) MPlayer also shows nothing green here

> Command line output:
> ffmpeg version 2.8.4 Copyright (c) 2000-2015 the FFmpeg developers

I should probably have said this earlier: While I cannot reproduce
an issue with FFmpeg 2.8 and the samples you provided, only
current FFmpeg git head is supported here.

Carl Eugen