[Libav-user] Possible memory leak with avcodec_decode_video2

David Tsulaia d_tsulaia at cu.edu.ge
Mon Jan 11 09:59:34 CET 2016

On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 10:52 AM, David Tsulaia <d_tsulaia at cu.edu.ge> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 28, 2015 at 3:26 AM, Carl Eugen Hoyos <cehoyos at ag.or.at>
> wrote:
>
>> David Tsulaia <d_tsulaia at ...> writes:
>>
>> > ffmpeg version N-75912-g624057d Copyright (c) 2000-2015
>>
>> Please test current FFmpeg git head before reporting
>> issues.
>>
>> > No matter what I try call to avcodec_decode_video2
>> > results in memory leak.
>>
>> valgrind output missing.
>>
>> Carl Eugen
> Must have been several nights no sleep and desperation.
>
> Now, I used current git build and showed similar results,
> but I researched more and found out what was the issue:
> It wasn't memory leak that's why valgrind constantly showed
> that all heaps were freed and no leaks were possible.
> The problem was that av_decode_video2 and av_interleaved_write_frame
> both buffer packets for processing/reordering. Thing is the stream is so
> large
> that both of these calls were not fast enough to deal with incoming
> packets
> so memory usage kept climbing up.
> I fixed this by using av_write_frame and provided already interleaved
> stream.
>
> So my bad for not noticing that.
>
> I have another issue I would like to get some help if possible:
>
> Could you please tell me how to correctly switch between files while
> reading stream.
> I am recording 1 hour long files from constant stream. Right now I am
> doing following:
>
> avio_open2(&ofmt_ctx->pb, fname, AVIO_FLAG_WRITE, NULL, NULL );
> after 1 hour.
> avio_close(ofmt_ctx->pb);
> make new file name
> avio_open2(&ofmt_ctx->pb, new_fname, AVIO_FLAG_WRITE, NULL, NULL );
>
> Is this right? I though of freeing context and reallocating it again,
> but wanted to avoid extra tasks in reading/writing loop.
>
> P.S. Happy holidays everyone.

P.S. one huge thing I forgot to mention, after recording stream for 24 (+1
or 2) hours
 or so the new files that are created are filled with error messages
(stderr stream is closed) like these:
[mpegts @ 0x23121a0] Application provided invalid, non monotonically
increasing
dts to muxer in stream 1: 15973397288 >= 7498497816

I am dumbfounded as to how can this happen. If possible please provide some
clues for this.