[Libav-user] Speeding Up avformat_open_input()

Williams, Blake bwilliams at drs.com
Mon May 16 17:52:22 CEST 2016

I'm reading fragmented MP4 files, and the call to avformat_open_input() takes a significant amount of time compiling the file's header information.

Is there any way to speed up this process?  I've tried using the AVFMT_FLAG_IGNIDX flag, but then a subsequent seek takes a long time to complete, if it doesn't crash first.  I'd like to be able to "unfragment" the MP4 file in the background, after  avformat_open_input() has returned.

Thanks,
Blake

Blake Williams
Principal Software Engineer, Training and Control Systems
DRS Technologies, Inc.

[Final-New-DRS-Color.png]

645 Anchors Street
Fort Walton Beach, Florida 32548
Tel: 850.302-3281
 bwilliams at drs.com<mailto:CKuypers at DRS-DS.com>  || www.drs.com<http://www.drs.com/>

This communication is intended only for use by the addressee(s) named herein and may contain business proprietary and/or legally privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, disclosure or copying of this e-mail and its contents is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, kindly notify the sender by replying to this message. In addition, please permanently delete the message and any attachments without copying or disclosing the contents. Thank you for your cooperation.