[Libav-user] New encoding / decoding API

Chao Liu yijinliu at gmail.com
Sat Oct 22 01:25:19 EEST 2016

On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 8:03 PM, Shu Wang <halfelf.ronin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Liu,
>
>   *codec -> codecpar* isn't a big change, and is easy to upgrade. Clone
> and pull the snapshot repo, you'll see some examples has been updated,
> though not all of them.
>
>   While the new decode/encode API is another story. I haven't tried these
> yet. Not many examples I can find. Maybe the closest one is this:
> https://blogs.gentoo.org/lu_zero/2016/03/29/new-avcodec-api/

Thanks. I just got it done..  The confusing things for me are when to set
these various fields of AVStream.codecpar or AVCodecContext, when to copy
from one to the other other, especially the time_base.
For decoding / encoding, demux / mux, there are some subtle differences.
Unfortunately, there are limited documentation and related code comments
are not very clear for me.
What I did is to read the ffmpeg.c and try to figure out what it does. It
would be nice if the examples are updated in time.