[Libav-user] statically linking x264 and x265 into ffmpeg

Peter Steinbach steinbach at scionics.de
Tue Sep 6 13:55:42 EEST 2016

On 09/06/2016 12:00 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:

>> I then build ffmpeg with the following flags:
>> $ ./configure --prefix=/tmp/master-x264-x265-minimal --enable-static
>> --enable-pic --disable-everything --disable-programs --enable-libx264
>> --enable-libx265 --enable-gpl
Hi Carl Eugen,

> --enable-static has no effect and does not imply static linking.
wow, I wasn't aware of that. I guess I misunderstood the docs then.

> Are you sure that you have no dynamic libraries for x264 or
> x265 anywhere in the path: Most linkers will prefer them
> over static libraries. An alternative is using "/path/to/lib.a" on
> the linking line instead of "-L/path/to -llib".
> You may want to use "ldd" to test for dynamic libraries.

Alright, I'll look into doing that. So you mean that I should add
```
--extra-libs="-L/path/to/static/libx264a -lx264"
```
right? I'll give that a shot.

> Do you know what "--disable-everything" does?
nope. I though it does what it means ;)

> It is a debug option, you should never use it for anything
> that you distribute, use --disable-all instead (if you need
> it), it implies --disable-programs.
ok, thanks a bunch for the pointer. I'll use that flag instead then.

> Just curious: Does --enable-pic really have an effect?
AFAIK, yes. PIC is propagated to the compiler calls, PIC is then
generated and I can bundle the library as I wish to.

> Which platform is this?
I am working on fc23 right now. the static libs coming with fedora all
have -fPIE enabled (if I understood the docs correctly), which doesn't
help me at all.

I'll keep you posted,