[Libav-user] Hardware accell encoding

Charles linux2 at orion15.org
Thu Sep 8 04:18:25 EEST 2016

On 09/07/2016 10:06 AM, Leandro Raffo wrote:
> Do the ffmpeg libraries expose hardware encoding capabilities? (I'm
> mainly looking for NVENC). I've been looking at the ffmpeg source code
> for a bit now, but I cannot find where it is implemented, although I
> could encode directly with the executable (I compiled), hope I get
> some kind of response this time, I'm sorry if my mails are too
> newbie/dumb for this mail list but I want to learn to use the ffmpeg
> api libraries and I'm going at a snail's pace :).

Yes, you need to have the NVidia Video SDK when you build.

./configure --prefix=/usr --bindir=/usr/bin --datadir=/usr/share/ffmpeg --incdir=/usr/include/ffmpeg --libdir=/usr/lib64
--mandir=/usr/share/man --extra-cflags=-I../Video_Codec_SDK_7.0.1/Samples/common/inc [...] --enable-nvenc [...] blah blah blah

The path --extra-cflags=-I is to the nvEncodeAPI.h file needed and --enable-nvenc adds the h.264 encoder

See ./libavcodec/nvenc.c

Thanks
cco