[Libav-user] Speeding up H264 decoding

Henry, David David.Henry at echostar.com
Wed Sep 7 21:06:40 EEST 2016

> First thing i would suggest doing is setting your AVCodecContext to use more threads
>
> for ex: videoCtx->thread_count = 4;
>
> On Wed, Sep 7, 2016 at 3:05 PM, Simon Brown <simon.k.brown at gmail.com<mailto:simon.k.brown at gmail.com>> wrote:
> I'm running a decode operation using doc/examples/demuxing_decoding.c I'm running on an Arm A9 with Neon enabled.  Sending a 1280x720p stream at 24fps it can only decode about 15fps.  Is there any way of speeding up the decode operation?

Depends on the version of ffmpeg.  I have found that previous to ffmpeg 3.0, setting the decode threads to 4 sped up decoding enormously (on a server class system with 32+ cpu cores running Ubuntu).
Since ffmpeg 3.0 however, we had to revert to setting the threads to 0 on that same system (allow ffmpeg to decide how many decode threads to use) because using 4 decode threads was running too slow.

David Henry