[Libav-user] How to use hardware acceleration?

Wagner Patriota wagner.patriota at gmail.com
Tue Aug 8 02:16:02 EEST 2017

1. Is there a generic/multi-platform logic/flow for enabling the hardware
acceleration for encoders/decoders using only FFmpeg API?

2. I noticed that FFmpeg source code has separated files like
ffmpeg_dxva2.c, ffmpeg_videotoolbox.c, etc and uses them to prepare some
stuff before using the hardware acceleration.
Supposing I don't know anything about the underlying of the hardware
acceleration and just want to use it without having to deal with platform
specific code... is it possible? is there a good example for this?

3. I noticed that the special case of the VDA exposes the decoder
"h264_vda" as an AVCodec just like any other codecs... why not do this for
all the other hardware acceleration? like DXVA2, QuickSync, NVENC, etc...