[Libav-user] ffmpeg - mpeg2 muxed with klv metadata (MISB-compliant video)

Jean-Sébastien Bilodeau jsbilodeau at cgq.qc.ca
Mon Aug 28 18:07:22 EEST 2017

Hi, Maintainers!

I try to develop a program who take a video from a camera, stream and save a MPEG-2 transport stream muxed with synchronised KLV metadata (SMPTE 336M KLV Data Encoding Protocol Using Key-Length-Value). The klv metadata must be MISB-compliant (http://www.gwg.nga.mil/misb/docs/standards/ST0602.4.pdf). The ffmpeg library (liav*) do almost all I need but the klv encoding is not supported yet.

What is the best way to add a KLV metadata stream using ffmpeg in c++? In libavformat, I quickly read mxf.h & mxf_enc.c and there is some mention about the klv. Would the best way to do this is to use AVIOContext and avio_w*() and get inspiration from mxf_enc.f?

Thanks!