[Libav-user] Using ffmpeg with SDL2 - Bad src image pointers / New decoding flow - questions

Blake Senftner bsenftner at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 5 22:15:37 EET 2017

I’m in a somewhat similar situation as you, working on a video player, using a more C approach versus C++ classes for all the data and logic. I write a hybrid, with classes, but minimally. I prefer C.  And I’m using wxWidgets with OpenGL, so there is very little hiding/encapsulation of my data handling.

In your “Init AV backend” I have additional calls to:
avdevice_register_all();   seems to be necessary for USB streams
avfilter_register_all();    you will want an avfilter graph to filter the stream of failed frames and similar error recovery
avformat_network_init();   if you’re playing IP streams, you’ll want this
When you call sws_getContext(), for your 3rd parameter pass in the videoCodecContext->pix_fmt. It’s value means “unset” and essentially tells sws to insure to return pixels in your desired format.
When using avcodec_send_packet() one needs to use avcodec_receive_frame(), as that is the API design. Consider those two routines the in and out of a single algorithm.
Also, due to buffering, you will want avcodec_receive_frame() called in a while loop, to drain the buffered frames after av_read_Frame() has indicated the stream EOF’ed or terminated.
It also looks like you’re not using AVFilter yet, which I have found is critical to stable playback - and it replaces your use of sws_context… (with it’s own use of sws, but with a lot more logic around it)
Regardless of your using AVFilter or directly using sws, your pixel data is not guaranteed to always be a single continuous pixel buffer with all codecs. Your logic needs to look at each frame’s linesize[0] (in the case of RGB pixels) and compare that to your calculated correct number of expected bytes. If they match, then you have a continuous buffer for each pixel line. If they do not match, your logic needs to loop over the pixel buffer copying the pixels from each row start, because each row can have additional bytes that are not image pixels at the end of the pixel row.

I don’t know when you started working on your player, but it looks from reading your comments, you are just a few beats behind my figuring all this out. I can’t share my code directly with you, but keep posting. The advice from others looks correct, but as you point out, you’re working in C, and C++ encapsulation is just hiding details you want to see.

Sincerely,
-Blake Senftner
Computer Scientist