[Libav-user] Problem with h264_videotoolbox and AV_PIX_FMT_YUV420P

Richard Kern kernrj at gmail.com
Sat Feb 18 00:02:32 EET 2017

On February 17, 2017 at 4:53:03 PM, Steve Green (steve.green at flosports.tv)
wrote:

This is the basic pipeline that I have:

BGRA frames -> sws_scale() -> YUV frames -> avcodec_encode_video2() ->
av_interleaved_write_frame()

.. and this works perfectly with x264 and most of the time with
h264_videotoolbox. The issue with h264_videotoolbox happens when I try to
stream at 854x480. From looking at the output, it appears that someone
along the way is not happy with width not being a multiple of 16. There is
a very clear shift/wrapping of pixels.

As an experiment, I changed my use of av_image_fill_arrays() to align on 16
bytes (with a sufficiently larger buffer) and the resulting image is
improved but still not correct. The basic shift is gone and the image is
legible but the colors are off and I can see an artifact over the image.

Can you post a frame grab of the unaligned and 16-byte aligned output?

Given that x264 works and h264_videotoolbox doesn't, I’m tempted to point
fingers at either VTCompressionSession or CVPixelBuffers + YUV, which would
explain why I want to try AV_PIX_FMT_VIDEOTOOLBOX. I’ve read pretty much
everything I can find on this but I cant find a single mention of
16-byte-multiple widths or strides.

Any idea how to go about debugging this?