[Libav-user] Problems with H.264 encoding for MP4 files on macOS

Carl Eugen Hoyos ceffmpeg at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 00:02:14 EET 2017

> However, I really need to use the H.264 codec instead of the MPEG4 video
> codec, so I have tried overriding the guessed codec by simply adding this
> after the av_guess_format stage.

(This should not be necessary if x264 is available within libavcodec because
if it is available it is the default video encoder for .mp4)

> fmt->video_codec = AV_CODEC_ID_H264;
>
> However, having done that, libAVCodec appears to be failing when it calls
> through to the OSX VideoToolbox.framework.
>
> [h264_videotoolbox @ 0x106806800]

This (not the error message) indicates that libavcodec was compiled without
support for libx264, recompile with --enable-libx264 (after installing libx264)

Carl Eugen