[Libav-user] what options should I specify if I only want an average target bitrate

YIRAN LI mrfun.china at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 03:48:54 EET 2017

Hi,

Just want to know, what options should I use if want the converted video
have an specified average bitrate. Will -b:v enough? do I need minrate
maxrate of bufsize? The converted video will only be played on computer,
not transmitted over network.

And what options should I use if I want average and max bitrate on the
converted file? why there's bit_rate_tolerance? can't it be calculated by
max(maxrate - average, average - minrate)?

Thanks