[Libav-user] ffmpeg version 3.4 (Cantor) behaviour

Francesco, Cuzzocrea francesco at bltitalia.com
Mon Nov 20 18:59:45 EET 2017

Hi
inserting latest library version (ffmpg 3.4 "Cantor") in my code, I
noticed a significant change in encoding behavior mainly in using MPEG2
codec
at 50 Mbit. The same code that works fine with previous versions, in
these latest didn't work as before.
Fist change:
In previous version assigning a buffer to the packet the encoded frame
was put in it avoiding to allocate packet buffer. In latest versions
the packet is allocated regardless of pkt->data field.  Reading the code
I didn't find any flag that restore previous behavior.
There is a way to restore it ?

Another great change is that allocated packet is of constant size
excluding first 2  times the got_packet flag is set ( I'm using
gop_size=12 and max_b_frame = 2) and the buffer is mainly zero. Like if
the pkt->size now indicate buffer size and not
output size.   Again: there is away to restore previous behavior ? How
can I detect effective compressed frame size ?

regards
Francesco