[Libav-user] VP9 encoding speed and file size

Arthur Muller muller at vki.com
Thu Aug 9 22:58:59 EEST 2018

Hello,
I can successfully generate VP9/webm files in my application using the ffmpeg libraries.
However, as compared to other codecs, this one takes a long time to encode a video file, and the file is much larger than I expected. Clearly, there are some parameters I need to modify. I assume these are all in the AVCodecContext struct.
I was wondering whether somebody could point out to me whether (1) the parameters in the above struct are indeed what I should be changing and (2) what are the parameters that affect encoding speed/quality/file size for these files.
In addition, possible suggestions for these parameters would also be helpful.
Thanks.
-Arthur