[Libav-user] Is the Windows libav binaries distributable?

朱鹏飞 zhupf321 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 26 15:21:37 EET 2018

Hi there!

We are a GPL project, and we've been trying to use libav to (1) decode AAC audio
and (2) encode video. I heard that the AAC codec, as well as some
other codecs, have
patent issues and thus decoders of them cannot be distributed in
binary form. However,
both your website and the MSYS mingw-w64 repos have Windows builds for
ffmpeg with
the AAC codec; this confused me a bit.

I would be delighted if you could tell me whether it is possible to
distribute the libav dlls
directly. From what I can see, they are built under gplv3 and without
non-free components.

Thanks a lot!