[Libav-user] FFmpeg libraries and Nvidia NDEC licensing

kt.neale at gmail.com kt.neale at gmail.com
Thu Feb 1 01:14:34 EET 2018

Hi,

If I write an application that performs hardware decoding of H264 using FFmpeg/FFmpeg libraries and the NVIDIA NDEC SDK, what license agreement applies?

For example, (as advised by https://developer.nvidia.com/ffmpeg), I would have to configure a build of FFmpeg as follows:

./configure --enable-cuda --enable-cuvid --enable-nvenc --enable-nonfree --enable-libnpp
--extra-cflags=-I/usr/local/cuda/include --extra-ldflags=-L/usr/local/cuda/lib64

I can see that in this case non-free code will be enabled.  Will building FFmpeg in this way mean that GPLv2 now applies?
Will this and another NVIDIA license also apply on top of the resultant application?

Apologies if this is more of a question for NIVIDA, but so far I have had no response from them.

Best Regards,

Kevin Neale