[Libav-user] does mp2 (MPEG audio layer 2) -format contain timecodes?

Sebastian Guttenberg sgutten at ms2-gmbh.de
Fri Mar 2 16:42:20 EET 2018

Hello
Is anybody familiar with the internal structure of the MPEG audio layer 2 format? Is it similar to mp3, consisting of frames and headers? While I found a nice explanation of mp3 (MPEG Audio Layer 3)  on wikipedia, I couldn’t find it in the same detail for mp2.
In particular, I’m interested if the timecodes for each frame (if it exists) are stored in that frame, or if the timecodes belonging to a frame somehow have to be calculated by counting the frames?
This is a sub-question of my longer more ffmpeg-specific one, which unfortunately didn’t get a response:
http://ffmpeg.org/pipermail/libav-user/2018-February/010945.html
Thanks, Sebastian