[Libav-user] does mp2 (MPEG audio layer 2) -format contain timecodes?

Carl Eugen Hoyos ceffmpeg at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 14:46:28 EET 2018

> Thanks a lot Carl Eugen for the helpful reply!
>
>> Do you mean timestamps?
>> Generally, the container provides timestamps, mp2 is a codec.
>> For decoded audio, "counting" seems the right approach.
>
> Yes, I meant timestamps. Ok, thanks, that makes sense that they are in the
> container.

> But was "decoded audio" a typo? We are talking about "mp2 encoded
> audio", right?

No, I thought about the amount of packets that the decoder outputs.
But the parser is also able to output packets of known duration.

> So you are saying that for the raw audiostream without container, "counting
> seems the right approach", correct?
>
> I can get the container-format with 'ffprobe -show_format' , right? For my
> mp2-file in question it shows me
> format_long_name=MP2/3 (MPEG audio layer 2/3)
> So it’s the same container as usual mp3-files and therefore should contain
> timestamps, is this correct?
>

>>> http://ffmpeg.org/pipermail/libav-user/2018-February/010945.html
>>
>> I don't know the answer, you were using old FFmpeg (which is
>> not supported here) and it looked like "wrong mailing list“.
>
> Oh, ok, sorry, had installed it last fall, wasn’t aware that it’s already
> old… Will get a new version. Thanks!
> And about „wrong mailing list“, any recommendations for the correct one?
> ffmpeg-devel?

No questions should ever be sent there, but if you have a question
concerning the ffmpeg command line tool (your email indicated
this), then ffmpeg-user is the right mailing list.

Carl Eugen