[Libav-user] New api and deprecation warning

Nicolas George george at nsup.org
Thu Mar 15 11:28:33 EET 2018

salsaman (2018-03-15):
> Seems to me like you say in the first post, the real bug is that
> AVCodecParameters doesn't have the "flags" field.

AVCodecParameters is for information that codecs need to do their work
but is stored in a structured way in the container format rather than
encoded in the bitstream. Codecs vary in what they need and what they
put in the bitstream, and formats vary in what they are able to encode,
but there is enough common ground for quite a few fields in
AVCodecParameters.

AVCodecContext is for actual encoding en decoding. It needs the
information from AVCodecParameters, but it also needs settings that are
specific to the process at hand.

Complaining that AVCodecParameters does not have a flags field is like
complaining that the TV magazine tells you how to turn the volume
button on your TV.

> On Wed, Mar 14, 2018 at 7:23 PM, Anton Shekhovtsov <shekh.anton-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>
> wrote:

Please remember that top-posting is forbidden on this list. If you do
not know what it means, look it up.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George