[Libav-user] Inconsistent dts/pts in packets read by av_read_frame from rtsp stream. Is it expected behavior?

Hristo Ivanov hivanov.ffmailing at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 17:08:57 EEST 2018

Hi Yang,

> While I'm using av_read_frame to extract frames from some rtsp stream
from IP cameras, the dts/pts of the next frame occasionally will be smaller
than the previous frames.
Currently I am facing the same problem.

> Is it a bug of libav or a P frame or maybe there's a bug in the IP
cameras' rtsp implementation?
I doubt this being a bug with libav, but I can not tell if it is a bug in
the IP cameras or something inherited from the rtsp protocol itself.

> then I should discard the consequent frames with smaller dts when I mux
it to avoid non increasing dts, should I?
Currently my solution to this problem does exactly this, but ffmpeg(the
tool) uses other solution, which is to modify the pts/dts values. [
https://github.com/FFmpeg/FFmpeg/blob/master/fftools/ffmpeg.c#L782 ]
My current solution works fine, but I will try the one ffmpeg uses.

I hope this helps.