[Libav-user] Using libavcodec and libavformat to encode live audio streams?

Ethin Probst harlydavidsen at gmail.com
Sun Apr 7 22:49:43 EEST 2019

Hello all,

I just joined the list -- so hello! I have a (hopefully) interesting
dilemma on my hands.
I am currently working on an audio conferencing application that, at
this time, uses libopus directly. This is quite uncomfortable for me
since it forces me to have to implement codec selection logic that
ffmpeg/libav already has. Libopus is used live to decodeand encode
audio streams. Would libav be perfect for this scenario? What would be
some pros/cons to using this method? And, finally, how would I go
about it? The program is written in C++, and the examples for encoding
audio only work on files, and I don't know how to extract the audio
data from the encoded audio packet. (The interface to libav also looks
unnecessarily complicated, or is that just me.) So, along with the
answers to the above questions, what other advice can you guys offer
for using ffmpeg/libav in my application (and future apps)?

--
Signed,
Ethin D. Probst