[Libav-user] Using specific codec with libavcodec

Simon Brown simon.k.brown at gmail.com
Fri Nov 1 14:27:02 EET 2019

Hi,
I'm trying to run some code to decode FFmpeg frames and output them in a
custom format.  I have started with the demux_decode sample file and it
runs, and decodes frames.  However, I'm running on a Raspberry Pi 4 and
have built FFmpeg and libraries from the latest git head with the MMAL
hardware accelerated enabled.  The decoder chosen is the standard h264
decoder, not the hardware accelerated version, so it decodes very slowly!
How can I specify which codec to use when running from C code?

The current code uses:
avcodec_find_decoder - but that doesn't seem to pick the MMAL decoder.

Any help gratefully received,
Thanks,
Simon