[Libav-user] Trouble Decoding with h264_qsv

Philippe Noël philippe_noel at college.harvard.edu
Sat Jan 25 00:00:36 EET 2020

> avcodec_decode_video2 is a deprecated function, so the success of usage
> depends on what version of LibAV you are using.
> If decoding is not working for you it might be worth to turn on logging
> with av_log_set_level(AV_LOG_TRACE) and add an own logger callback so you
> can define the output with av_log_set_callback(). Once you receive error
> codes it's much simpler to configure the codec, because you can see what
> the mistake is.

Thanks for the tip, I logged the error. The error I get is "Decoder: output
is system memory surface" and I can't seem to find anything regarding this
online. I verified and my CPU is supported (it is an i5-7200U). Any idea
what the problem is, or where I could find more information on this
specific error?

Cheers,

Philippe