[Libav-user] Encoding images to h264 and rtp output: SDP file without sprop-parameter-sets does not play

Rasmus rasmusdiederichsen at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 11:39:56 EEST 2021

Alright, I seem to have solved my problem. The RTP port number must be
even, of which I cannot find clear documentation, but it seems the
live555 library used by VLC modifies the port number to be even
(https://github.com/rgaufman/live555/blob/master/liveMedia/MediaSession.cpp#L696).
If you then send to an odd port, nothing is listening there, or it
might get used for RTCP, not RTP.

So takeaway: Send your RTP packets to an even-numbered port.

---

Also, the line

out_codec_ctx->flags |= AV_CODEC_FLAG_GLOBAL_HEADER;

Can be added (only when this flag is set will the AVCodecContext's
extradata be filled by libavcodec during X264_init() (in libx264.c)),
but does not have to. The call to avcodec_parameters_from_context()
should come after avcodec_open2(), because the extradata gets filled
during avcodec_open2(), if global header is enabled. Saving the SDP
file with av_sdp_create() then writes sprop-parameter-sets as well.

But this is indeed not necessary, I assume since the same info (SPS
and PPS) can also be sent inside the stream, so the SDP file does not
have to contain this information.