[Libav-user] Effects of passing contexts (format, codec) between threads

Olzhas Zhumabek anonymous.from.applecity at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 11:34:18 EEST 2022

>  With threads you want parallelism not sequential access so to me it
doesnt make too much sense to have it moved around.

At the moment I have a task scheduling framework that schedules tasks to
idle threads. The ffmpeg encoding/decoding is thus sliced into tasks and
those get picked up by idle threads. I just wanted to know if I need to
have a deeper look into my code or if accessing AVFormatContext from
different threads (without simultaneous access) is not okay.

I have a working version that uses only one thread created manually outside
of the framework (thus it ensures that AVFormatContext will always be
accessed from the same exact thread).