[Libav-user] Custom data in AVPacket or AVFrame

Dan Egnor egnor at ofb.net
Tue Feb 15 17:38:53 EET 2022

(What a gruff answer!)

Caveat: I'm no expert, I'm also bumbling my way into this world, but:

My understanding is that the packet "side data" and the frame "side data"
are distinct universes, one is not copied to the other, which is why the
approach you're trying doesn't work.

You might look into the "reordered_opaque" field. It's an opaque int64_t. I
THINK the way it works is you set it in AVCodecContext before
av_send_packet and then read it out of AVFrame. The "reordered_" is a
reminder that packets and frames don't happen in the same order. I haven't
actually used this!! I don't know if it actually works like that!!

Otherwise I THINK you're down to having your own table on the side indexed
by timestamp (either pts or dts) which has the advantage of being entirely
independent of libavcodec and its vagaries.

To echo the gruff answer below, if you convey your larger goal, there may
be other creative solutions...??

Good luck,

-- egnor