[Libav-user] How can I programmatically add .srt subtitle file to MP4 file

Strahinja Radman dr.strashni at gmail.com
Sun Feb 27 10:18:58 EET 2022

On Sun, 27 Feb 2022 at 09:13, Asaf Kave <kaveasaf at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 21, 2022 at 6:07 PM Asaf Kave <kaveasaf at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I want to embed .srt file to my MP4 output file using code, *not CLI*, I
>> didn't find any good example for that, the only example I have is the
>> remuxing.c demo.
>>
>> What is the best way to do it?
>> 1) In the remuxing demo, I see that using libformat I can write chunks of
>> the subtitles file ( using av_interleaved_write_frame function see line
>> 169  https://github.com/FFmpeg/FFmpeg/blob/master/doc/examples/remuxing.c
>> ).
>> 2) Can I use avcodec_encode_subtitle from libavcodec to do it?
>> 3) using complex filters?
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>> Asaf
>>

> Anyone?

Hello,

You should just be able to load the subtitle and remux it with the video.
So algorithm would be
1. Open video and subtitle
2. Open new output file and add two streams (subtitle and video)
3. Read packets from video and subtitle using av_read_frame() which will
give you AVPacket*
4. Send those packets to av_interleaved_write_frame()
5. Close the file (very important for some containers)

Kind regards,
Strahinja

> --

Regards