[Libav-user] Using libav Libraries with LGPL license

drwho drwho at infidigm.net
Mon Jan 30 15:28:09 EET 2023

Have you read through the License Compliance Checklist?  Read it
carefully.  There is a very significant difference between GPL and LGPL
for non GPL source code applications. See point #1.

https://www.ffmpeg.org/legal.html

I am not a lawyer; below is my opinion....

#3 - Distribute the source code of FFmpeg, no matter if you modified it
or not.
> Q1-1) If Q1 is true, then if we have the dlls for libav, we don't have
> to upload the object files of our project?
You do _not_ need to distribute the object files if linking dynamically.
> Q2) This could be a silly question. One of the open-source projects I
> used needed to be paid to use their codes. (This was a really rare
> case for me a long time ago.) Because of this, I was wondering if we
> have to pay to use libav.

No ( donations are welcome )

Jon