[Libav-user] Live MP3 stream transcoding delay

Igor Serganov iserganoff at gmail.com
Fri Mar 10 14:50:24 EET 2023

Hello Team!

I would appreciate your help on understanding/resolving the following issue.
When I do ffplay or transcoding of live MP3 stream, I always get around 8.5s - 9s startup delay.
When I do the same for HLS Live input - delay is around 100ms.

It seems to me I have tried all the things advised here - http://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/StreamingGuide to remove initial latency, but got no result.

I have tried the following commands:

ffmpeg -probesize 32 -re -fflags nobuffer -I <INPUT> -acodec libopus -muxdelay 0.1 -ab 98k -t 30 -ar 48k -y output.opus

ffplay -probesize 32 -sync ext <INPUT>

ffmpeg -probesize 32 -re -I <INPUT> -ab 128k -t 10 -ar 48k -y output.mp3

ffmpeg -probesize 32 -re -analyzeduration 0 -fflags nobuffer -I <INPUT> -acodec libmp3lame -ab 128k -t 10 -ar 48k -y output.mp3

It seems to me that I am missing something as when I open the same input stream in browser it starts playing much faster (I don’t have 9s delay).

Can you please help me to get understanding what I can be doing wrong?

Thank you in advance.

Kind Regards

Igor Serganov