[FFmpeg-user] 'incorrect' number of extracted frames in a non-VFR video
jbeyer at gmail.com
Fri Aug 13 06:35:55 EEST 2021
> A quick calculation gave me the impression that the number of decoded
frames mostly matches the expectation ((8x60+9.5)x30000/1001) - what did
Thanks for the reply Carl, and I apologize. I had pasted two commands that
used slightly different files.
We had an 'original' file from the old hardware. That video was supposedly
26:10.77, as reported by ffmpeg and VLC. When we tried to extract jpegs
from that video, we ended up with 14,671 frames or ~ 8 minutes of video at
29.97 fps. If we scaled the original video, we also ended up with ~ 8
minutes of video.
So I was trying to figure out how we were only getting 14,671 frames at
29.97 fps from 26 minutes of video.
I see now that the original is definitely corrupted. If I let it play
through in VLC, there are times where the timestamp jumps a full 3 minutes
So I think this isn't an issue with ffmpeg or ffprobe, and simply a
corrupted video whose file implies there is 26 minutes of video, when there
is only 8 minutes.
More information about the ffmpeg-user