[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC/PATCH 1/8] tidsp: add skeleton

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Mon Sep 6 22:38:05 CEST 2010

On Mon, Sep 06, 2010 at 03:29:02PM +0300, Martin Storsj? wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Sep 2010, Felipe Contreras wrote:

> > > Please use a license header similar to the ones in the other files.
> >
> > Ok, although I think such big text is overkill.
> >
> > > Also,
> > > is it possible to license the code (mainly the reused parts) as LGPL2.1+,
> > > that is, including the "any later version" clause? The rest of the ffmpeg
> > > LGPL codebase uses this version. If you aren't able to license it that
> > > way, some configure magic to disable this code if compiling for LGPL3
> > > would be needed, as far as I know.
> >
> > I'm not sure what you mean by "reused parts", if I understand
> > correctly, you mean the 'tidsp' directory, which code is similar to
> > gst-dsp's.
>
> Yes, that's what I meant.
>
> > If so, no, I don't think we can change that to LGPLv2.1+,
> > or at least not that easily (and I wouldn't want to). However, as Mans
> > suggested, that code wouldn't be able to fit FFmpeg without changing
> > the code-style, which I'm not willing to do, so that code would have
> > to be a separate library, like libtidsp-ng.
>
> Ok, if it's a separate library, it's at least easier to keep track of,
> although I'm unsure of the legal implications, if we should or shouldn't
> be allowed to link to that in a LGPL3 build.

a LGPLv2.1 only + LGPLv3 only should be at least compatible to GPLv3+
its a feature of the lgpl that can be annoying if onw wants to avoid
the + case
IANAL+AFAIK

When the tyrant has disposed of foreign enemies by conquest or treaty, and
there is nothing more to fear from them, then he is always stirring up
some war or other, in order that the people may require a leader. -- Plato