[FFmpeg-devel] skip multiple id3v2 headers

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Sat Sep 11 02:27:33 CEST 2010

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 03:12:09PM -0700, David Byron wrote:
> Michael Niedermayer wrote:
>
> > id prefer if the code is the simplest that works with
> > actually existing files and follows closely what the specs
> > say and they dont say skip tags randomly
>
> I did send an actually existing file with two id3v2 tags in it.

you did, but the file has no conflicts between the tags so skip
and parse result in the same and parse is simpler in code.

> I have a
> few.  I didn't create them file myself so I'm not sure how they got that
> way.  It's true that the code in svn at the moment works fine with them, but
> I think it's just getting lucky.  An image in the additional id3v2 tag could
> easily contain what looks like an mpeg frame header.
>
> I'd like to protect against this.  Does this seem reasonable?

yes but your initial implementation of this was not reasonable

> I've looked for specs that discuss how to handle multiple id3v2 tags but
> come up empty.  Is this thread:
>
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.multimedia.id3v2/657
>
> interesting?

yes

"Usually the highest version is preferred when reading track information.
 I've seen cases that if specific information is missing from the highest
 version but exists in the older ones, the older version is used for the
 missing info."

-- Albert Einstein