[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] clobbers for XMM registers

Ramiro Polla ramiro.polla
Thu Sep 30 19:48:37 CEST 2010

2010/9/30 M?ns Rullg?rd <mans at mansr.com>:
> Ramiro Polla <ramiro.polla at gmail.com> writes:

>>> In that case always adding it is certainly harmless, and allows a
>>> single macro to be used.
>>
>> What about
>> #if HAVE_XMM_CLOBBERS
>> # ? ?define XMM_CLOBBERS(a, ...) __VA_ARGS__
>> #else
>> # ? ?define XMM_CLOBBERS(a, ...) a
>> #endif
>>
>> to be used as in lavc/x86/fft_sse.c:
>> ? ? ? ? :"+r"(j), "+r"(k)
>> ? ? ? ? :"r"(output+n4), "r"(output+n4*3),
>> ? ? ? ? ?"m"(*m1m1m1m1)
>> ? ? ? ? XMM_CLOBBERS(, : "%xmm0", "%xmm1", "%xmm7")
>> ? ? );
>
> That falls over if any other clobbers are needed.

If any other clobbers are needed they could be written before the macro.

> ?Here's my idea:
>
> #if HAVE_XMM_CLOBBERS
> # ? define XMM_CLOBBERS(...) "cc", __VA_ARGS__
> #else
> # ? define XMM_CLOBBERS(...) "cc"
> #endif
> [...]
> __asm__ ("..." ::: XMM_CLOBBERS("%xmm0", "%xmm1"), "other");
>
> This macro can be called anywhere in a clobber list, and it requires
> no obscure syntax at call site. ?A comment about "cc" being a no-op
> might be in order, or course.

If you don't mind having "cc" there always, that seems fine to me too.
Should I send another patch or can you commit directly?