[FFmpeg-devel] Licensing issue with idct_mmx.c

Alexandre Colucci alexandre at elgato.com
Wed Apr 6 10:55:37 CEST 2011

On 6 avr. 2011, at 00:07, Michael Niedermayer wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 05, 2011 at 09:42:13PM +0000, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
>> Alexandre Colucci <alexandre <at> elgato.com> writes:
>>
>>> GPL is disable so my binary doesn't contain this code.
>>
>> Good (if you want/need LGPL).
>>
>>> But the fact that a file containing GPL source code (even if not compiled) is
>>> in my repository sounds like a major licensing issue to me.
>>
>> Why?
>> Please explain the problem.
>> (While it is very, very unlikely, I could theoretically imagine a problem with
>> the file if you distribute it, but as long as your explanation is "there is
>> disabled GPL code in the same folder as my LGPL code", I don't think anybody can
>> help you.)
>
> i also see no problem with this but maybe i miss something?

Thanks for the comments!

It will be possible to download my source code and compiled binary. The binary will only contain LGPL code. But I want to avoid to have unused GPL source files in the distributed source code. This might cause a licensing issue (although I am not an expert and you know more about this licensing issues than me). Currently each time I synchronize my sources with libavcodec, I manually remove this GPL file (idct_mmx.c) from my repository. That's the reason I am looking for a better solution (like moving idct_mmx.c outside of libavcodec). If I forget to remove this GPL source file when publishing my source code, I might have some licensing issues.

Alexandre