[FFmpeg-devel] file protocol with Unicode support

Hendrik Leppkes h.leppkes at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 09:50:08 CEST 2011

Hi,

On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 9:28 AM, Nicolas George
<nicolas.george at normalesup.org> wrote:

> As UTF-8 cover the whole of Unicode, better than UTF-16, if there is some
> way to force windows to parse the string as UTF-8, it would solve the
> problem (except if there are files with broken UTF-16 surrogates; I do not
> know if fsck tools consider this an error). It would be much simpler.

The default open() call on Windows does not understand UTF-8 in any form.
I did the same as Kirill and implemented my own "ufile" protocol which
internally maps the UTF-8 string to a wchar UTF-16 string and uses
_wopen - this was the only way i could get pathes with uncode
characters in them to work properly on Windows.

If this would be integrated into the default file protocol, this would
help all Windows users of ffmpeg.

- Hendrik