[FFmpeg-devel] file protocol with Unicode support

Nicolas George nicolas.george at normalesup.org
Thu Apr 14 10:41:17 CEST 2011

Le quartidi 24 germinal, an CCXIX, Kirill Gavrilov a écrit :
> > The confusion in API is already there: Unix filenames are sequences of
> > bytes, windows filenames are sequences of 16-bits words.
> No the problem is that Linux (and probably Unix - I'm not have enough
> experience with others) and Windows come different ways in providing Unicode
> support.

That is exactly what I said, but I was more specific: the way Linux provides
Unicode support is that it does not: file names are sequences of bytes, not
characters. Interpreting the bytes as characters is left to applications
that directly communicate with the outside world.

> but unambiguous Unicode (wchar_t) functions WinAPI functions are strongly
> recommended for development.

And in doing so, they failed utterly since they made their wchar_t 16 bits,
which is not large enough to handle Unicode.

> The problem with symbols outside your code page.
> You just can not map special French symbols to 8-bit Russian code page, thus
> this conversion is lossy and standard non-wide functions open/fopen can
> not be used to open such files.

I'd say that if someone's "codepage" is not able to encode the file names he
has on his devices, he asked for it.

But you came up with a satisfactory solution in the other mail anyway.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George