[FFmpeg-devel] What's up with the API and ABI?

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Thu Apr 28 13:19:35 CEST 2011

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 06:29:12PM +0200, Luca Abeni wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> since the infamous ffmpeg/libav split, a good number of programs using
> ffmpeg libraries started to break because of arbitrary renamings...
> That's annoying (it forces me to fill the programs with funky ifdefs to
> support the git checkout of the day), but I can live with it.

Iam unhappy about it as well, the code quality is very much going down
since libav does not review patches technically at all and we pull them
stefanos qpeg patch from a few hours ago is an
example. Its wrong but they want stefano to join libav and leave ffmpeg
so its all nice "looks good to me", anyway iam working on fixing that
one

> But today I found a new interesting bug introduced for the sake of it: I
> had a program calling " url_fopen(&o->outctx->pb, o->output_file,
> URL_WRONLY);" (which was AFAIK legal until some days ago) which started
> to fail in a misterious way.
> At the end, I found out that url_fopen() now does "return avio_open(s,
> filename, flags);"... But the avio_open() flags are completely different
> from the url_fopen() flags (AVIO_FLAG_WRITE is 2, while URL_WRONLY is
> 1... Calling url_fopen() with URL_WRONLY results in trying to open a
> file _for reading_!).

oops, fixed locally will push soon
thanks alot for reporting

> So, if you really want to rename url_fopen() (why? Just because
> avio_open() is more trendy?) you have to either remove url_fopen() and
> its flags, or update the flags values. Keeping a broken url_fopen() is
> much worse than removing it without deprecation.

yes, of course

No great genius has ever existed without some touch of madness. -- Aristotle