[FFmpeg-devel] GSOC 2011 politics

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Sat Apr 30 17:02:22 CEST 2011

On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 12:16:37PM +0200, Stefano Sabatini wrote:
> On date Saturday 2011-04-30 01:10:57 +0200, Michael Niedermayer encoded:
[...]
> > April 25:
> > 19:00 UTC
> > Accepted student proposals announced on the Google Summer of Code 2011 site.
> > 10 Projects for FFMpeg/libav are being accepted
> > 10 choosen by libav
> >  0 choosen by ffmpeg
> > 2 of the students are libav developers, 1 of them has never written C
> > code before. 0 students are ffmpeg developers
> > 8 of the mentors are libav developers
> > 2 of the mentors are ffmpeg developers
>

> While I see that the way GSoc was led this year has been somehow
> unilateral, I want to remeber that most changes in Libav are directly
> pulled in FFmpeg, so that work is also benefitting FFmpeg altough
> indirectly,

absolutely.

> and the disparity in the number of tasks/mentors mostly
> depends on the unavailability of mentors amongst the FFmpeg
> developers.

The list of applications was not available to many ffmpeg developers
(for example it was unavailable to me)
thus they had no way to decide if they want to mentor or not.
I could have tried to mentor sebastian and the j2k decoder assuming
these would have been accepted. And these are just the 2 i know of
It was quite unfortunate that i was quite busy during the
qualification task period.

He who knows, does not speak. He who speaks, does not know. -- Lao Tsu