[FFmpeg-devel] GSOC 2011 politics

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Sat Apr 30 17:20:34 CEST 2011

On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 12:19:55AM -0700, shahriman AMS wrote:
> Hi Michael,

Hi shahriman

> Your mail dispirited me. I have been accepted for GSoC 2011 and yes, I have never in the past worked for Libav or FFmpeg. But GSoC is for students, not veteran developers. I have talked to a number of current FFmpeg / Libav developers (and at least one x264 developer) who came in through GSoC. I have finished my task which was open to all - anyone who wanted to have a shot, could have had a shot.
>
> And getting accepted is not the end. If one does not finish the project, he will not get anything (and possibly blow any future chance in GSoC). So if you are aggrieved, you could have kept it to yourself until the program ends. Then the numbers of projects finished against the number of projects accepted would have served to support/refute your argument.

It is&was not my intent to dispirit any students. Instead i hope very
much your project succeeds, it is for teh better of FOSS and
hopefully will be fun to you.
And the mess is not the fault of any student so theres no reason to
feel dispirited about it. Iam sure you worked hard on your
project and will also succeed.

Old school: Use the lowest level language in which you can solve the problem
            conveniently.
New school: Use the highest level language in which the latest supercomputer
            can solve the problem without the user falling asleep waiting.