[FFmpeg-devel] (new) intermediate codec

Lars Täuber lars.taeuber
Fri Mar 11 23:28:30 CET 2011

On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 20:53:58 +0100 Luca Barbato <lu_zero at gentoo.org> wrote:
> On 03/10/2011 10:47 PM, Lars T?uber wrote:
> > I just thought that. But the progress is slow right now.
> > Decoding speed is really important for an intermediate codec.
> > Could there be some improvement with ffv1? It is not usable
> > with HD video on my 2,5GHz 2 core machine.
>
> Using an lzo I-frame only would be an option for you?

When it decodes multithreaded and could be enhanced to encode multithreaded when ffmpeg starts to support this this would be a very good starting point I think.

Later it could be changed to use a more effective compression arithmetic in a higher version. But let's start small and simple. Let's start!
Maybe multihtreaded version of Michaels rangecoder could be used frame wise in a next version. But it also has to speed up a lot to be usable as an intermediate codec.

Lars