[FFmpeg-devel] [ANOUNCEMENT] ffmpeg.org

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger
Mon Mar 14 18:11:48 CET 2011

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 08:08:15AM +0100, Diego Biurrun wrote:

> > First, I find it funny how the project where anyone has at least the
> > technical possibility to commit whatever they want is the dictatorship
>
> Maybe he places less emphasis than you on committership (which already
> was and is being extended) and more on a single person controlling the
> whole project.

Micheal does _not_ control the project, not by far. Due to everyone
having commit access he has much less control than any single of the
committers.
However I had proposed to make Michael's opinion "only" count as 2.5
developers (counted at any point of choice, so that formal voting
with a "timeout" would not be necessary) - this would have the advantage
that "standoff" would not be possible once Michael becomes involved
in a discussion. But since nobody ever told me what specifically they
have an issue with I have no idea if it would help anything.
Back to the original subject:
Yes, he can revoke commit access, but that cannot be done silently,
requires an active effort and doesn't really work when a majority
of developers has a different opinion.
With just a few committers developers can be mobbed out by just
"forgetting" to apply or considering completely bogus arguments
done without even properly looking at the code as blocking.
Nobody wants to contribute if you have to spend 5x the time of
coding for answering idiotic questions.