[FFmpeg-devel] (trying to be) a voice of reason

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Tue Mar 15 00:27:48 CET 2011

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 11:20:44PM +0100, Luca Barbato wrote:
> On 03/14/2011 07:55 PM, Nicolas George wrote:
> > Le quartidi 24 vent?se, an CCXIX, madshi a ?crit :
> >> So far I haven't heard any firm commitments for
> >> or against a (proper) vote from either side. Would
> >> any of the "new leaders" be willing to commit to a
> >> (proper) vote and to promise to honor the final
> >> outcome of such vote? Michael, how about you?
> >
> > I am not a leader, not even a important contributor, but I state this:
> >
> > I completely support the principle of a proper vote with unbiased rules and
> > would comply to its results.
> >
> > By the way, my reason for "siding" with Michael now is precisely that the
> > leaders of the other side was obviously unwilling to surrender to the
> > majority.
>
> I stated the election rules used by other major projects and I asked for
> a third party to set it up, the answer from Michael had been an insult
> claiming it was rigged.

I appologize if i insulted you,let me explain the issues i see in the system
lets assume 99% people want a single leader. This would not even make it
more likely that a single leader would be selected than if just 1% of the
people want a single leader.

IMHO the question 1 leader vs, leader team vs. even split leader team of both
sides. needs to be voted upon seperately at the least.

There are possibly other things too, like people should be able to propose
options to vote upon it shouldnt be decided by the one setting up the vote.
This is how votes in debian work, people propose options

Into a blind darkness they enter who follow after the Ignorance,
they as if into a greater darkness enter who devote themselves
to the Knowledge alone. -- Isha Upanishad