[FFmpeg-devel] Copyright claims about material on ffmpeg.org

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Tue Mar 15 17:19:22 CET 2011

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 07:37:18PM +0100, Rob wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On 14 March 2011 13:33, Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> wrote:
> > So i ask here in public again, does anyone who has copyright on parts of the HP
> > wants us to remove something from the ffmpeg.org homepage ?
> >
> > I do consider things that people commited to the homepage or submited patches
> > for to have been intended to be displayed on the homepage. And thus the
> > authors of that work agreeing to the stuff being there. But if people explicitly
> > state they want something removed, we will remove it of course.
>
> I developed the current website's layout and colour scheme. I do not
> support Michael's actions but I will not revoke usage of the website's
> aesthetics as I do not think it would gain anything.

thank you very much.
Iam too tired to word it better now, but your decission is very nobel and
i have alot of respect for this under the current circumstances.

Rewriting code that is poorly written but fully understood is good.
Rewriting code that one doesnt understand is a sign that one is less smart
then the original author, trying to rewrite it will not make it better.