[FFmpeg-devel] Welcome to the "ffmpeg-devel" mailing list

Ivan Kalvachev ikalvachev
Wed Mar 16 12:03:42 CET 2011

On 3/16/11, Attila Kinali <attila at kinali.ch> wrote:
> Moin Michael,
>
> On Wed, 16 Mar 2011 02:58:10 +0100
> ffmpeg-devel-request at ffmpeg.org wrote:

>> reply to old mails (prior 16. mar. 2011) make sure the address you
>> reply to is ffmpeg-devel at ffmpeg.org and if not change it. Otherwise
>> the mail will possibly not reach any subscribers. We apologize for
>> this inconvenience. You are being automatically subscribed to this
>> list because the list was moved and you where subscribed to the old
>> and now closed list.
>
> May i ask who gave you the permission to subscribe me to this new
> mailinglist of yours? As far as i know i never did. In the contrary,
> i said quite a few times, that i don't want to be on a project that
> is lead by you. It is just too painfull and dismotivating, to put
> it mildly.
>
> Hence, i'm really tempted to report you to your ISP for violating the
> Opt-In rule and forcibly subscribing me onto a mailinglist i don't want
> to be on.

You may have already forgotten, but mplayerhq server handled FFmpeg
mail lists while the project was still on sourceforge.net . After the
rest of the FFmpeg project moved, the domain for the maillist remained
the same, only for convenience.

Now the FFmpeg project was forced to move again.

We would have been happy if the situation just reverted to the sf.net days.
But you had to go a step further and to retaliate under the only thing
that was left under your control.

The people were resubscribed to the same mail list they used to be
subscribed. The only thing that changed is the domain. The old ones
are closed, the new ones are open. The equilibrium is preserved.

Now I would be happy if you don't start arguing that libav is the more
official ffmpeg successor because it have most active people in it.
Please don't mind-clone uau.
Just remember that XFree86 took all developers (but the leader), build
its infrastructure from scratch as Xorg and nobody looked back at
xfree86.

Please don't resort to short term dirty tricks. They can only hurt you
in the long term.