[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Development model

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Thu Mar 17 18:34:13 CET 2011

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 06:03:21PM +0100, Thilo Borgmann wrote:
> Am 17.03.11 15:15, schrieb Michael Niedermayer:
> > Hi
> >
> > A quick question
> >
> > What do people prefer
> > A. Reviewer applies patch if he is sure its ok
> > B. Reviewer ok-es patch and author applies later
>
> Well have there been a rule for that in the past?

what was done in practice was
when the author had write access, patch was ok-ed, author commited
whebn the author has no write access patch was commited by reviewer and later
then was ok-ed by reviewer and applied by patch monkey

the issue is, if i ok a patch nowadays, nothing happens.
and with git applying is a single keypress per mail
thats why iam not so happy with ok-ing patches, iam affraid patches are
forgotten and lost.

> A patch to be applied some time after the last reviewer has given an ok. Worked
> pretty good in the past, I think.
>
> >> (and I forgot how to apply patches ;-).
> > git am -s the mail or attachment
> > make fate
> > git push --dry-run
> > look at output, make sure you dont push funny branches or other funny things
> > git log (-p)123456..123456 (from git dry-run)
> > look at output, make sure this is what you want to push
> > git push
>
> I miss SVN somehow...

everyone is confused by git at first and then starts loving it after getting
used to it. Its alot more powerfull than svn

Many things microsoft did are stupid, but not doing something just because
microsoft did it is even more stupid. If everything ms did were stupid they
would be bankrupt already.