[FFmpeg-devel] mutlithreading in ffmpeg?

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Tue Mar 29 15:34:13 CEST 2011

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 07:29:30PM -0700, Thomas Worth wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 3:08 AM, Reimar Döffinger
> <Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de> wrote:
> > On Sat, Mar 19, 2011 at 09:21:23AM -0700, Thomas Worth wrote:

> >> I have assumed this entire time that the problem was with my code, but
> >> after trying several variations to no avail and the fact that it works
> >> on regular ffmpeg and not ffmpeg-mt should be the first clue that
> >> something is wrong. Besides, why would my code influence things like
> >> whether or not the frame immediately after a keyframe (consistently,
> >> as shown by the output) gets returned?
> >
> > I am going to say it again: that in itself is not necessarily a bug.
> > The difference to single-thread does make it suspicious though, but nothing
> > more.
>
> Of course it's suspicious -- it isn't producing expected results. And
> don't confuse "single thread" with simply setting codec context's
> thread count to 1. This does not work regardless of whether the thread
> count is 1 or > 1. It ONLY works with normal (non-mt) ffmpeg.
>
> > And the fact that here:
> >> seekpos:01001|pts:01001|decode2 return val:0319|got_pic_ptr:000|is keyframe:0
> >> seekpos:01001|pts:02002|decode2 return val:0318|got_pic_ptr:328|is keyframe:0
> > You are seeking to the same position twice and get a different result
> > means there's some state lingering. Whether that's your code's fault or
> > not is impossible to say with such an incomplete code-snippet.
>
> The only reason this happens is because I am forcing a decode by
> ignoring *got_picture_ptr to expose the problem. This would not happen
> during normal operation. In fact, with the H.264 decoder I don't even
> have to check for got_picture_ptr, because everything returned from
> avcodec_decode_video2 is a valid frame. That is, except for ffmpeg-mt,
> where each frame after a keyframe is inexplicably ignored EVEN THOUGH
> it is reporting the number of bytes in the decode result!

you have to check got_picture_ptr and always had to check it.
the data you get if got_picture_ptr is 0 is undefined

and if i understand you correctly (please correct me if i misunderstand)
you talk about this undefined data being inconsistent.

> Regarding the incomplete code-snippet, everything else would be set up
> normally using typical code for opening and reading using normal
> avcodec structs. I didn't include it because I'm not doing anything
> special.
>
> >> And why is it returning the
> >> same frame twice, even though the timestamps are one frame apart?
> >
> > None of the information in that page indicates that the same frame is returned.
>
> You did not look closely enough:
>
> seekpos:01001|pts:02002|decode2 return val:0318|got_pic_ptr:328|is keyframe:0
> seekpos:02002|pts:02002|decode2 return val:0318|got_pic_ptr:328|is keyframe:0
>
> >> This
> >> works fine on all frames _after_ the one following the keyframe. And
> >> why is avcodec_decode_video2() returning the decompressed size of the
> >> frame but not actually putting it into an AVFrame?
> >
> > It returns the amount of data consumed. If it's a B-frame it might be the
> > most sensible thing to just discard it.
>
> There are no b-frames in the video (I know I did not make this clear
> in the description, but now you know). If it returns the amount of
> data consumed, then why not set got_picture_ptr? It does it for every
> other frame, just not the one after a keyframe!

probably because theres 1 frame delay
if this changed over the ffmpeg-mt merge then we might have a bug in
there but 1 frame delay streams (without B frames) are rather common
practically all mpeg2 without b frames fall in this category

can you confirm that the delay behavior changed?
if yes i need a reproduceable test case to look into it

Its not that you shouldnt use gotos but rather that you should write
readable code and code with gotos often but not always is less readable