[FFmpeg-devel] Releases 1.1 2.0 1.0.1 ?

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Tue Dec 4 16:55:52 CET 2012

On Tue, Dec 04, 2012 at 12:26:31AM +0100, Stefano Sabatini wrote:
> On date Monday 2012-12-03 16:14:19 +0100, Michael Niedermayer encoded:
> > Hi all
> >
> > The planed 1.0.1 release (or 1.1 depending on the numbering used)
> > hasnt happened yet, ill work on this ASAP
> > if you want something back ported, backport it NOW!
> >
> > Also i was thinking of releasing a 1.1 from current git master,
> > before some messy redesign of the buffer api gets merged and also
> > as there are hundreads of bugfixes in master that noone has been
> > backporting to release/1.0
> >

> > I think calling such a release from master, 2.0, feels wrong ATM but
> > iam happy to give it any number people want.
>
> The questions are:
>
> - do we want to use major to indicate *binary backward compatibility*,
>   as it was proposed some time ago?
>
> - did we break backward compatibility with the 1.0 release?
>
> The answer to the second question seems to be yes, since we bumped
> libavutil after the 1.0 release, even if possibly not many users will
> notice it. Releasing 2.0 just after 1.0 seems not very glamour, but at
> least conveys this information (which is very valuable to the user).

In which way is it valuable ?

the command line interface did not change, the user may expect
otherwise
the API did not change, the user may expect otherwise
what changed is the removial of a few deprecated functions from
libavutil, this no doubt needs libavutil major to bump but defining
ffmpegs major release number this way is IMHO not valuable for the
user
not saying here we should favor either 1.1 or 2.0 just that this
strict definition would lead to random numbering more than usefull
numbering. There easy could be a 5.6 -> 5.7 that adds ten times more
chnages than a 5.0 -> 6.0 just because someone decided to bump some
libs major in the later case

Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give
it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For
even the very wise cannot see all ends. -- Gandalf